Job Title: Controller
Summary: Responsible for managing the Foundation’s financial systems including but not limited to accounting, grant payables, financial and budget reporting, payroll and benefits, bookkeeping, investment reporting and compliance with internal controls and external and regulatory guidelines. Reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain the Foundation’s general ledger working with the Executive Director and the Foundation’s accountants.
- Maintain financial records, reports and files including bank statements and monthly investment statements.
- Prepare invoices for payment and detailed summary of cash needed for bank transfers to meet Foundation operating expense needs.
- Prepare checks to vendors, obtain necessary signatures and mail checks.
- Manage cash flow for investments and operations, including cash flow projections and planning, monitor balances and review bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements and other financial reports, analysis and planning as requested.
- Prepare and assemble information to be sent to accountants for annual tax return and quarterly tax payments.
- Prepare quarterly investment summaries for ED, President, Treasurer and Investment Committee Chair.
- Provide support for Board and Investment Committee Meetings by gathering necessary data and compiling reports and charts.
- Review semimonthly payroll, quarterly and year-end reports.
- Provide support and work with ED in monitoring staff HR and benefits needs; tracking changes in benefits plan managed by payroll provider.
- Responsible for risk management and review of the Foundation’s insurance needs such as D&O Insurance and property insurance.
- Work with ED and grant staff to reconcile the grant management database with the accounts management system.
- Support the review of grant applications by analyzing non-profit tax returns, budgets and annual audits.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Education Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required. Masters (MA or MBA) and/or CPA desirable.
- Preferred 5 plus years of accounting experience.
- Working knowledge and understanding of financial investments and reports.
- Relevant work experience within the non-profit or philanthropic community desirable.
- Understanding of tax laws, HR and other reporting requirements.
- Ability to understand and review non-profit tax returns.
- Extensive experience with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint software as well Gmail-Google Drive.
- Ability to introduce new forms of technology enthusiastically in order to improve workflow and keep up with advancements in the field.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to adhere to deadlines and follow-up.
- Integrity and confidentiality.
- Flexible and comfortable with ambiguity; willingness to work outside the box.
- Self- motivated, ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills; ability to interface with a variety of personalities
Compensation will be set in accordance with the successful candidate’s experience and in alignment with industry standards. A comprehensive benefits package including health benefits and a retirement plan will be offered. The position is exempt.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by email to Caroline J. Sabin at firstname.lastname@example.org Due to the holidays, do not expect a response until after the first of the year.